Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Steve H Steve H is offline

Default Why we dont use methanol fuel.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You can buy them to use for caravans/motorhomes/camping etc. I've not
looked into how there work- I'm not even sure they use an engine.

Certainly in France they sell petrol 'diluted' with ethanol- the signs
say modern cars after a certain date can use it. It is a bit cheaper
than straight petrol.

It's common in the US too.

Large amounts of ethanol are said to cause damage to the fuel system in
cars not designed for it. Lots of reports of things like 'rubber' hoses
disintegrating.

It's not new - when I were a kid there was a petrol called Cleveland
Discol. Claimed to contain alcohol.

Mk1 MX5s have a fuel tank drain bolt, with a fibre washer.

Mine was fine, until a couple of weeks after we returned from a European
tour, during which time we extensively used E10. I lost a whole tank of
UK unleaded outside a hotel overnight.
--
Steve H