Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amazing accomplishment of light bulb sellers

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 14:21:29 -0500, Ignoramus17018
wrote:

It used to be difficult to sell a light bulb for more than $1. And
those would last a while.

Nowadays, they can sell $35 light bulbs, that last only a year, and
that could even get your house hacked.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Equi...dp/B01HF2CMM4/

This is an amazing accomplishment and something that any old time
crook would be proud of.

I love home automation, but would never even -think- of using it
outside the home to control the inside. Think of all the surveillance
possibilities by Big Brother for these systems. I know people who love
the Alexa thing and asked if they felt about it. They all said "We're
not doing anything wrong, so why worry?" That corporations, gov't,
hackers, and criminals know your every wish and detail of daily life
seems far, far too invasive to me.

Scenario: Person comes home to emptied house with note on smart
toaster, alone in the kitchen: Thanks for everything! --the perps

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.