Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Digging a narrow hole 1m deep in a confined space?

On 30/09/2017 19:43, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Saturday, 30 September 2017 19:31:12 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

You dont have to show that existing stuff meets current requirements.

Are you sure? Even if this is the case I do want to make sure it'll hold up the tiled roof (the eaves wall is likely to be mostly glazed hence there'll be a beam supporting the roof from one wall to the other).

I'm not sure that I would trust all that weight to a wall that was not
built with that in mind.

Are you going to increase the size of the rear extension, compared to
the conservatory? If so, a good solution would be a brick pillar at each
side, with strong foundations, specifically designed to take the weight
of that beam plus all it will support. Tack that onto the end of the
existing side wall.

I'd be just as concerned, if not more so, to check the house
foundations. At the moment, the weight of the two storeys is spread over
the entire back wall, but if you knock through it will be concentrated.

Do you need a structural engineer to advise you?