Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
robobass[_2_] robobass[_2_] is offline

Default Amazing accomplishment of light bulb sellers

I will never have any "internet of things" stuff in my house, but I have moved to about 75% LED at home. The quality has gotten really good really recently. If you bought an LED spot in a hardware store five years ago, I bet you returned it immediately. I have been buying warm white LED directly from China for about 8 years, the German shops not offering anything decent. Now they have finally caught on. I have an 8w lamp in my foyer which is way brighter than the two 40w halogens it replaced. Yesterday I picked up a couple of 4w spots in a "Lidl" (sort of like an "Aldi" for $4 each. They are super bright, and the color is warmer than halogen. I'm going back for more tomorrow. I will probably be at 90% LED at home by the end of the year. I still have the traditional tubes on the ceiling and halogen spots over work surfaces in the shop though. I find the halogens are still superior for centering a point, seeing fine scratches, and what not.