Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Painting a Bakelite radio cabinet

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 18:43:35 -0400, rickman wrote:

wrote on 9/26/2017 6:31 PM:
On Tuesday, 26 September 2017 22:14:42 UTC+1, rickman wrote:

It all depends on the details. I used a paint for plastic to use on a
plastic container and it did not work well at all. I cleaned the surface
well, but did not rough it up and did not use a primer. It was not too long
before the paint started to peel. I don't know the type of plastic. It was
a food storage container with a seal ring commonly available in stores.
Just a data point for what it is worth.

Nothing sticks to polythene.

That should be poly-mumble-ene.

Are you in the UK? Is that what we call polyethylene? How does it happen
that we end up with different names for things like common plastic?

There are naming standards for chemicals and compounds which I believe
includes plastics. Chemists are amazingly human (and childish) in
their naming of various compounds. There are enough examples to fill
a Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemical_compounds_with_unusual_names

Should you ever be in a position to assign a name, please resist the
temptation to be excessively clever. I didn't. Because I had one
foot in engineering and the other in marketing, I was honored with the
task of assigning a model number of a marine radio that I helped
design. Most of the other radios followed the pattern COM1, COM3,
COM21, etc (this was before the IBM PC serial ports used the same
designation). Without the slightest hesitation, I proclaimed that
COM1C will be the next model number. It was about a week before
anyone noticed the obvious. I soon became a candidate for immediate
execution by those who had to rewrite the product releases and hastily
retrieve those had been mailed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D