Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Painting a Bakelite radio cabinet

On 30 Sep 2017 20:47:43 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 09:43:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
The supply of white space is limited and in danger of extinction.
When we run out of white space, allthewordswillruntogether.

Entropy's effect would seem to create just the opposite -- whitespace
ever expanding until e v e n l e t t e r s w i l l b e
t o o f a r a p a r t t o
r e l a t e t o e a c h
o t h e r .

Jonesy

That's not entropy, which is the tendency for all attempts to organize
this newsgroup to turn into randomized rubbish. It's also not the
expansion of the universe, which would increase the font size along
with the inter-character spacing. After all the great ideas are
eliminated, whatever is left, no matter how dumb, must be the cause.
In this case, it's caused by authors being paid by the page. In the
distant past, authors were paid by the word. This resulted in
numerous abrevs, contractions, and hypenations to increase the word
count.

However, it was tedious to count words. So, publishers changed to
counting pages instead. That changed the style sheet to gigantic
fonts, absurdly wide margins, margin notes, double and triple spaced
lines, two spaces between sentences, a heading on every page, and
footnotes that nobody reads. What's important is that the tool to
make all this happen is the white space character. Prior to these
changes, the worlds supply of white space was adequate for all forms
of publication. Afterwards, the supply of white space began to
diminish. That happened to me, when I pressed the space bar, and
nothing happened. I quickly inserted a flash drive full of empty
space, which allowed me to continue writing. However, that's only
temporary as AGW alarmists are already proclaiming impending doom.
Little wonder that NASA is trying to resurrect the space program, so
that we can replenish our supply of white space from outer space.

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer to the white space depletion
problem. Conservation is only a temporary measure. Eventually, we
will run out of white space resulting in the implosion of all written
text and the rationing of white space. It might be possible to use
black paper and white printing because unlike the supply of white
space, there's plenty of black space available inside the nearest
black hole.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D