Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Peter Hill[_3_] Peter Hill[_3_] is offline

Default How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol

On 30-Sep-17 11:30 AM, Steve H wrote:
NY wrote:

There are plenty of filling stations (eg the one at the Asda near me) which
are open 24/7 as long as you use pay-at-pump, but are only staffed during
daylight hours. Maybe they are monitored remotely by CCTV when the payment
booths are unstaffed.

They are. The security guard in the main building usually has a
monitoring station for the filling station.

Some fuel companies have been investigating remote CCTV coverage for
unmanned stations - but UK petroleum officers aren't keen on it.
(Belgium is big on unmanned stations like this)

I wasn't talking about the staff. UK regulations requires the driver
holds the trigger on the pump nozzle for filling of Diesel and petrol.
All latching devices (beloved by the fire prone gas guzzling USA car
owners) had to be removed from the pumps for the public to safely use
the pumps without a pump attendant. In the USA people goof off and then
forget to remove the nozzle from the tank and drive off ripping the
filler hose off the pump. Or they get a static charge and pull a spark
igniting the fuel vapour that has been expelled from the open tank
filler when they go to take the nozzle out. In the UK if you are not in
attendance holding that trigger, stood out in a freezing gale, you don't
get any fuel.

You can plug an EV in and walk away or sit/nap in your nice warm dry
car. You can even make phone calls, send/receive texts/e-mail or use the
internet while charging. They will switch the pump off if they see you
doing that while filling with petrol or Diesel. I wonder what people
will do with 1/2 hour to kill when they get an EV RV.

You can plug a FCV (fuel cell vehicle) in and walk away as that is a
sealed filling system, locked on the filler port so is allowed to latch.