Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol

On Saturday, 30 September 2017 00:43:49 UTC+1, Graham J wrote:
Peter Hill wrote:
On 29-Sep-17 4:25 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
minutes. The 50 litres is about 500KWh of energy. At 10 amps I'd need
50kV for an hour. Even at 100A I'd need 50kV for 6 minutes.

Your 500KWh of fossil fuel energy becomes 150KWh of traction, 175KWh of
heat and 175KWh of noise and other losses. That's using a very (very)
generous 30% efficiency.

[snip]

The apparently waste heat generated by the IC engine is a serious point.
Most days in the UK heat in the passenger cabin is a necessary safety
measure.

It's very difficult to drive safely while wearing sufficient bulky
outdoor clothing that would keep the driver warm while being almost
totally inactive - by contrast a pedestrian walking briskly will keep
warm in a typical UK winter with only light outdoor clothing.

Also heat is needed to maintain a warm dry airflow over the screen to
ensure good visibility.

Providing heat for these requirements - even if the vehicle is
spectacularly well insulated - will be an additional drain on an
electrical vehicle.

By contrast cooling from an air conditioning system isn't really
necessary in the UK. There are of course a few days most summers when
it's nice to have ...

--
Graham J

Tsk Some have heat pumps/reversible AC.