Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default How far travelling a Hybrid with no petrol

On 2017-09-29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
Since one can only go a mile or so on the battery, I suspect the state
of charge at fill time has little effect on the figures.
Is this for real?? Only a mile on battery?? WTF
Surely you want enough electric propulsion to get you to a filling
station of being green, through a town and out the other side.
I cant really see how there can be much saving in running costs
A bit of saving on regenerative braking and maybe a bit more smoothing
out engine demand I suppose.

You obviously have no idea how hybrids are supposed to work.

Absolutely correct. I had assumed a greater proportion of electric power
capacity, the possibility of home charging and a "get you out of
trouble" petrol engine.
To be honest, never really looked at them before and now I have a vague
interest with the possible fossil fuel vehicle ban in the future.

Is there a name for the technology nearer to what I described? I just
don't feel I could ever be comfortable with purely battery power with
the risk of running flat on a journey, or touring holidays which we
enjoy currently.

It's called a PHEV. Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle.

Eg:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...Plug-in_hybrid