Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Kettle descaler?

On 29/09/2017 17:29, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Does anyone here sort of 'make their own'?Â* I buy glacial acetic acid
off ebay, because the missus uses it (well diluted, of course) as fabric
conditioner, although it doesn't really condition it AFAICT, but she
seems to like it.Â* Anyway, it's not as good as I'd imagined at descaling
kettles, even though I thought it'd be stronger.Â* I think the bought
stuff contains citric acid, but I don't want to buy a load of ebay just
to have it sit on the shelf for the rest of my life next to the Bradex
Easy-Start.

Fernox DS3 (sulphamic acid) is not cheap, £16 for 2 kg, but makes up a
large quantity, and is said to have an indicator (so it can be re-used
until exhausted). I've just bought some for a business, but they are
still on their first batch which hasn't run out yet.