Tony Hwang

Default dimmer switch - _hot_ screws

indago wrote:

031108 0129 - Blake Patterson wrote:

I have 3 dimmers in my house that are the same model dimmer. Have them
controlling ceiling lights. Two give of very minor warmth generally
during operation, while one gives off so much heat that the screws
holding in the face plate are almost too hot to touch.

Is this likely a bad switch? Just get a new one? Worrisome as it's
housed in a plastic box, not metal.

Thanks.

bp

The Triac -- the semiconductor device in the dimmer that does all the work
-- is fastened to the metal strap of the dimmer for heat sink function. It
is obvious that the dimmer is at its maximum with the lights on full bright.
If you turn the lights on the dimmer on dim, the heat should diminish.
Maybe you should consider getting a new dimmer with a higher wattage rating.

Hi,
Maybe that one is at ~max load. I'd replace it with higher Wattage rated
one. I had to do that with my Chandelier dimmer.
Tony