Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default "Lithium" jump start battery tear-down

Depends on the construction. Often if one has already go an internal short
then its almost impossible to blow it up as it will not charge enough.
However depends on how they are charged, ie, I seem to recall the cells are
monitored completely seperately to stop overchaarging ones fully charged if
one is shorted internally.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"rp" wrote in message
ohit.me.uk...
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 18:54:06 +0100, newshound wrote:

One of mine has gone flat, and won't charge with the supplied charger.
Turns out not to be too difficult to strip; four concealed screws, a
clipped-together case that needs to be forced quite firmly, and WD40
applied to the sticky foam that holds the battery pack into the case.

Mine needs to be switched on with it's on/off switch before it will
charge.

It turns out that the batteries can be charged directly through the big
"battery clips", and it is currently sitting on my desk being fed from a
small (half amp max) lab power supply. It was taking 300 mA but has now
dropped to about 150 for some reason. Supply is giving about 10.5 volts.
For obvious reasons I am being gentle with the batteries, not using a
car battery charger for example! But as they are about 125 x 45 mm and
the stack is 20 mm thick I can't believe that half an amp will bother
them.

They are lithium, if you don't charge them correctly they have a
tendancy to explode and if you overcharge them they will burst into
flames.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;