Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default Painting a Bakelite radio cabinet

On 9/28/2017 8:29 PM, wrote:
Considering my age, it probably dont matter, but I bet all the modern
caps will fail in far less time than those old paper caps. Nothing these
days is made as well as in the old days. Caps that are still working
after 70 years were not poorly made. I think a lot of that was because
in those days, people had respect for their customers, anad wanted the
name of their company to stand out. That was before our "throw away
society". That is no longer the case.

Of for ****'s sake.
You are one ignorant son of a bitch.

Caps made "back then" were made with non-archival, i.e. acid bearing
paper. They were sealed with bee's way which was hygroscopic. Moisture
reacted with the acid in the paper and that was the end of that.

Modern capacitors are made with a metalized mylar film and have a
service life measured in hundreds if not thousands of years.

Modern electrolytic capacitors have improved 10 fold over the years.

Add to that, the fact that most caps are now made in China, and I know
they wont last. I try to get all NOS Orange Drop caps. They were made in
the USA and were top of the line. They cost more, but are the only ones
I consider worth buying.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

While you're at it, why not buy NOS Black Beauty capacitors.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi