Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default Painting a Bakelite radio cabinet

On 9/28/2017 5:09 PM, Jim Mueller wrote:
Jeff was lucky, his capacitors failed quickly while he still had the
radio apart. My experience was different, each one lasted months, so I
ended up taking the set apart numerous times to replace one capacitor
each time. I learned from that, now I replace them all at one go.

The Artone was the third set I worked once I decide I was going to play
with old radios. The first was a Signatone code practice oscillator and
every cap and resistor was bad in it. The second was a Columbia phono,
AC/DC/Battery portable with a wind up clockwork mechanism.

After about ten years of playing with vintage tube gear, I opened a shop
to do this for profit. This means when you fix a radio, it has to stay
fixed once it goes out the door.

But if you like taking things apart repeatedly, that's up to you.

"You can't fix stupid."

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi