Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default Painting a Bakelite radio cabinet

On 9/28/2017 10:44 AM, wrote:
I have to say that I am highly impressed that this 70 year old radio
still works, with it's old caps and all. I have considered recapping it,
or at least the critical caps and the power supply filter caps. But then
again, "if it works, dont fix it". Having it power up with no hum, was
what impressed me most, since the electrolytics are usually bad.

Are you stupid, or do you just try to appear to be stupid?

"It works."
Yeah, right up until it doesn't and fries an IF transformer or something
else like one of the vacuum tubes.

A couple of examples:
1. A late '40s vintage Artone AM/FM/Phono console my parents bought new.
It was working when I left home in 1972. I pulled the chassis around
2001 and turned it on. I worked for about 10 minutes and paaaf! one of
the paper caps self-destructed. I replaced that one and tried it again.
This time it lasted 3 minutes and pafff! another paper cap went away.
After I changed the 4th one, I just replaced the remaining ones.'
After another 15 minutes the one of the filter caps self destructed.
I replaced all of them.
The radio sits in my living room and has been working fine for the past
16 years.
2. A Hallicrafters SX-110 general coverage receiver. It looked like new
and had the matching speaker. I set it on the work bench at the shop in
2007. Turned it on, and it worked perfectly. After 20 minutes the audio
slowly dropped to zero. I turned it off to checked what happened. The
filter can was hot enough to fry eggs.
I recapped the radio and gave it to a friend of mine. It's still working
perfectly and is one of his favorite radios.

But, by all means, do whatever you want.
Solid technical advice is wasted on you.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi