Paul A

Default Compact flourescent bulbs -safety issues?

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Paul A wrote:

"A" wrote in message news:k1Fqb.327388$pl3.158331@pd7tw3no...
I was reading an electrical book titled "Your Old Wiring" by Shapiro.
Fantastic book by the way - see if your library has a copy of it if

you
want
to learn about wiring in older houses.

There is a paragraph discussing replacing incandescent bulbs with

compact
flourescents. The author was saying that the replacement flourescent

bulbs
can lead to socket damage due to the weight of teh compact

flourescecnts
and
the heat that their ballasts produce.

Personally I've not run into any problems (yet) with my compact
flourescents - and I was wondering if anyone else has?

I had some problems about 12 years ago with CFs being too heavy for some
inexpensive lamp sockets , pulling the shell
out of the base, but CFs are much lighter and smaller now and none of

the
current ones have given any problems like that.

Boy, those had to be some pretty poorly made sockets, I've never hesard of

such
a thing. Can you describe their construction?

Jeff

Tough without pictures. In a very enlarged form, think of a soda bottle
with the spout down, and cut it off a couple of inches above the spout. That
is the part that attaches to the lamp body. The socket rests on that and
the cover and support for the socket (the remaining bottle) fits back into
the base, only held by pressure. Pretty common, actually.