Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Q: Universal Power Supply Boards for TV LCD/LED backpanes

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 11:56:53 AM UTC-4, Robin Ingenthron wrote:
Our company is manufacturing backlight signs for restaurants, and our current process involves keeping the original TV power board to light the backpane.

We think the TV powerboard is "overkill" to just run the lights and also has more value sold for another TV.

Does anyone have experience with Universal power boards like these ones (sold on Alibaba)?

http://www.finder.com.cn/Products/Details/LCDPower.htm

Finally, what's the best vocabulary word when the OLED crystal sheet is removed and you have only the frame and compact fluorescent / LEDs?

backpane? backlight? backpanels? backplanes?

fairtraderecycling.org
Robin at WR3A dot org

Yikes. Do you mean that you use discarded TVs, remove the LCD, and use the back light as a basis for a sign?

If that's what you're doing and don't want to use the existing power/LED drive board, take a current measurement of the existing LED array with the TV running. Build/buy a current regulated supply that will supply the LED array with about 30% less current than the TV did (those are overdriven and have a very short life as installed). The voltage required can be up to 300 volts depending on how many LEDs are used and if they're all arranged in series, so every application is different.

Using the original supply can be easier, but you will have to externally enable the back light on command line and most of these power supply boards won't turn on the LEDs unless they receive a PWM signal from the main for the brightness feature. You'll either need to keep the TV main board functioning or build a pwm signal generator.

If you get the run current wrong on the LEDs, they won't last.

Not sure what you're trying to say about OLEDs, but we refer to the screen assy sans LCD display as a light box, although there's no standard definition that I'm aware of.

I think a far easier plan would be discard the TV components entirely from inside the light box and buy LED strip lighting and a control box (Alibaba, ebay). This way you can be sure you won't over drive the LEDs.