Jim Elbrecht

Default Question: Septic Smell. Plumbing Pictures Included. A real challenge!!!

(Marc) wrote:
-snip-
My bathroom has a septic smell in the winter time which appears to
come from the toilet. No smell comes from the tub, or either sink.

The toilet is functioning well other than the winter smell. It doesn't
appear to have any leaks at the drain seal, because I see no water on
the bathroom floor around it, or seeping through the floor and into
the basement.

-snip-
A septic vent pipe goes from the toilet drain pipe (about 3" up from
the only 90 degree bend) which you cannot see in the picture. The vent
goes through the roof and a smell comes from it so it is not clogged.

-snip-

Is there a window in the bathroom that gets tightened up in the
winter? My first thought would be to eliminate the possibility that
it is really a rear-round problem that is only noticed in the winter.

Next I would suspect the vent getting snow, debris or sitting water
that is causing a plug when it freezes in the winter.

Do you use propane gas in the house. I've seen folks confuse the
smell with a septic tank. A poorly vented dryer, hot water heater or
space heater could stink up the place.

Jim