Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default P**s up and brewery.

"pamela" wrote in message
On 10:37 27 Sep 2017, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 27/09/17 09:02, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman
(News)" writes
In article , Â
Mark wrote:
Huh! If we remained a part of the EU we would have some
say on
how it
is run; outside the EU we have no say at all.

outside we no longer need to change it

That's a very naive attitude.

Just the usual drawbridge one.

Odd, really, for a country like ours which is self sufficient
in virtually nothing, other than water. It has to trade to
survive.

And sugar according to the BBC this morning:-)

Obviously if everyone were like plow****, it would be never be
self sufficient in anything except whining, and there's not much
market for that.

No modern nation is 'self sufficient'. No nation ever was.
Romans occupied Britain for tin gold and copper.

China imports vast quantities of coal and iron ore. China
exports rare earth metals to the world.

Remoaners are like little children who are taken to Town for the
first time and say 'but surely Daddy can't spend his whole life
here when he isn't at home, just working?'

The unbelievable stupidity of remoaners is to equate 'No trade
deal' with 'no trade'

If we end up charging quid pro quo import tariffs for Spanish
courgettes, someone will build a desalination plant and grow
them in Morocco. Or Nigeria. Or somewhere else outside the EU.
We could build heated greenhouses running on left wing bull****
and grow them here. There's plenty of it.

Its all a matter of price.

It's true that the market will determine the price. If we wish to
pay the price then we will get the goods.

However the price of goods from non-EU countries may end up being
higher than at present. Perhaps much higher.

so we just carry on buying from the EU then.

Sorry, you don't seem to understand international trade. It is um,
international

if one country offers us a poor deal you just go somewhere else.

This idea that e.g. NZ can ramp up the price of its butter after we have
left is a nonsense. If it wants to sell us its butter it has to compete on
price. Otherwise we don't buy it from them. Simples

The fact the EU levies tariffs and we may not does not, of itself,
ensure cheaper goods.

It does mean that the ROW will compete on a level playing field, and if it
does have lower costs of production will be able to undercut the EU price as
they will be no tariff disadvantage.

A vendor country may require the UK to
restrict certain sensitive exports to their country or makes
changes to the tariff arrangements for those goods.

Nonsense

No county imposes restrictions on another when they turn up at the door
saying can we buy the products that you have freely advertised as wanting to
sell (except ion the reselling of the item purchased, that is, but your
original claim doesn't seem to be saying that)

And it certainly can't insist on discriminating tariffs for other items
being imposed - WTO rules disallow discriminating tariffs, so no country
could every comply with such a request even if they were minded to do so.

One recent survey showed only 4% of retailers (who are getting
info passed down their supply chains) think prices will not rise.

such surveyed are meaningless. they are simply a compilation of people
guess work