Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 01:49:50 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:29:19 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

Yeah, ok ... but what about the question re using a lower value zener
to get it away from the 'knee', especially as it's no more difficult
to do?

The zeners with the straightest knee are at 9-10v.

Ok, so again that helps because I'd go for a 9V zener to get AFA I can
from that 10V threshold and still retaining the sharpest knee. ;-)

Go look at the linked data sheets.

Too much information (variables) for me in most cases mate. ;-)

Ah, you can use the 9V zener but it only comes in SM and you have to
buy 1000. The 10V are easier to get but need a higher current ... etc
etc. I don't play chess or poker or any game of chance for that matter
(preferring FPS when I can shoot my fellow players in the face). ;-)

The whole point to me of asking those who know is they are the ones
who should all agree on a single 'best' solution. ;-)

More than one way to skin a cat? (But for that as long as it does get
skinned is good enough for me [1]).

Cheers, T i m

[1] I couldn't hurt one but I don't see the point in them ... apart
from a source of whiskers for crystal sets and guts for violins. ;-)

Just use a 10v zener. Job done. There's little point in the rest when the meter is so coarsely marked. You can adjust for 10v mechanically. You should find one in your scraps box.

Catgut is made from sheep, goats etc.

NT