Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default FOR SALE - $475 antique radio for ONLY $65

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:54:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I bought an antique radio for $475 at an antique store. It was sold
as-is, no returns. When I got it home, I plugged it in, and saw
sparks. Then the whole thing burst into flames. By the time the Fire
Department came, I made out the fire by tossing a 5 gallon pail of
water on it. The Fire Dept then tossed it outside and broke the
cabinet.

After it dried, I duct taped the cabinet back together, but I am not
certified to repair it. I will sell it for repair to anyone who is
certified to repair it, for only $65. You cant get a better deal than
that. It looks like all the tubes and transistors are still there, so
I am sure it can be fixed. It will probably need a new cord though,
that sort of melted from the flames.

Shipping is extra.

Post a reply if you want to buy it!

LOL!

Not to get too far from your post but your story reminded me of a true story my dad told me. Back in the late 1950s or early 60s, he was making a house call on a B&W console. He arrived at the house and found it on the front porch. Turns out the grandfather was watching TV while the TV was literally on fire. His daughter and son-in-law ran into the room when they smelled the smoke and there was grandpa watching that TV en fuego. He wasn't aware of the flames licking the curtains because the show he was watching was a western and either the wagon train or the barn was set on fire by the Indians (er, Native Americans) and was in full blaze.