Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting oil or coolant for drill press

wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:27:01 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:29:43 -0700, wrote:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:18:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 11:54:32 AM UTC-4,
wrote:

Any thing is better than nothing. Your hydraulic oil is not
going to be the best possible, but will probably be about 90 %
of the best possible oil/coolant.

Dan
Actually Dan, hydraulic oil makes lousy cutting oil, not even
close to
being 90% as good as the best possible cutting oils or coolants.

Eric

Thanks for the correction. For years I have used what ever is
handy including ATF. And believed it was much better than
nothing.

Dan
Maybe better than nothing, but certainly not as near as good as
cutting oil. Have you tried bacon fat? Even bacon fat is better
than
motor oil. Seriously.
Eric

With all of the stearin in it, it won't wick by capillary action.
When
you take the stearin out you're left with lard oil -- which has a
decent set of properties (and a very long history) as a cutting oil.

Bacon fat wicks OK when the metal is good and hot. BTW, how is the
stearin removed? I have always wanted to make lard oil.
Eric

This doesn't answer your question but it's a good, concise explanation
of the chemistry of fats and oils.
http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Di...tty-Acids.html
The strange traditional names indicate their sources, for instance
'capr..' refers to a goat.
-jsw