Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default What foundations for beam floor

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 26/09/2017 12:24, wrote:
Hi All,

We've got the builders in, we don't have an architect or project
manager overseeing the work, and our experience with a lot of this
stuff is that we've seen it on Grand Designs or 100K House or
whatever.

Anyway, to the latest question........

The builder is today building block work walls on which he will res
beams, and I think these will have gaps between for blocks to drop
into (or the beams may just be butted up together (which is how a
previous extension at the front of the house appears to have been
done)). He is going to leave a void underneath the middle of the
beams which will be vented via air bricks.

Anyway. a question I said.............

There don't appear to be any footing for the block walls. Is that
normal? Allowed("Soil" is heavy clay)?

Footings can be made from blocks - so if they have dug down to a solid
base level, then arguably that will be ok.

(normally engineering brick or dense concrete blocks would be used for
sub ground applications)

Aka "trench blocks" for e.g.

Sounds like a job that would need paperwork from the BCO....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/