Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cpvh@o2.co.uk is offline

Default What foundations for beam floor

Hi All,

We've got the builders in, we don't have an architect or project manager overseeing the work, and our experience with a lot of this stuff is that we've seen it on Grand Designs or 100K House or whatever.

Anyway, to the latest question........

The builder is today building block work walls on which he will res beams, and I think these will have gaps between for blocks to drop into (or the beams may just be butted up together (which is how a previous extension at the front of the house appears to have been done)). He is going to leave a void underneath the middle of the beams which will be vented via air bricks.

Anyway. a question I said.............

There don't appear to be any footing for the block walls. Is that normal? Allowed("Soil" is heavy clay)?

TIA

Chris