Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting concrete window sills, surrounds, and roughcast walls in wet windy area

In article ,
Harold Davis wrote:
The guy in the paintshop recommended a 3:1 water:PVA coat after
scraping, and then some Dulux Weathershield. He didn't seem to know
much about SBR or alternatives to that brand and type of paint.

Should I use PVA or SBR or something else? I thought for a while that
maybe he's right at least on the PVA score because a decent paint will
soak into the concrete which SBR being waterproof would hinder. I'd be
grateful for advice from some of the knowledgeable people here.

With a masonry paint. you'd normally just thin it with water for a primer
coat, if the surface is absorbent.

I've just used Bedec which you can order from ToolStation. On advice from
here. Of course only time will tell if it lasts better than the previous
stuff - but it is certainly difficult to get the lid off a used tin. ;-)
But quite a bit more expensive than the common brands. It is said to
remain flexible and to 'breath' .

--
*Broken pencils are pointless.*

Dave Plowman London SW