Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus4881 Ignoramus4881 is offline

Default Cutting oil or coolant for drill press

On 2017-09-24, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 07:46:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news
On 9/18/2017 6:27 PM, Ignoramus10622 wrote:
A company gave me this drill press.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Allen-Drill-Press.jpg

I will actually use it instead of scrapping, and my question is, is
it
better to use soluble coolant, or cutting oil on it.

thanks

---
http://www.avg.com

For your needs, used motor oil will be perfect!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/topics/oil.htm

Used motor oil may contain heavy metals like lead from the bearing
shells and combustion byproducts suspected of causing cancer.
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.asp?csem=13&po=11
"It is difficult to ascribe observed health effects in epidemiological
studies to specific PAHs because most exposures are to PAH mixtures."

I think that Tom was being his funny/facetious self. d8-)

I'm wondering what Iggy is going to drill with a heavy-duty,
three-head production drilling machine.

Is he going into competition with Caterpillar?

Tom has a great sense of humor. I am windering if I can just use
hydraulic oil for cutting. I have large quantities of it and even burn
it for winter.