Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Monday, 25 September 2017 15:53:59 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:13:48 AM UTC-4, tabby wrote:

If it's only marked in whole volts, reading it with accuracy won't happen, so it won't be especially accurate.

How so? I suggest that you are mistaking "accuracy" for "precision". They are not even a little bit the same thing nor follow necessarily one from another.

A gauge or meter that reads (is marked) in whole numbers but is dead-on is far more accurate than a gauge or meter marked in thousandths, but is always two units off. Although the latter meter is extremely precise.

I have a metered Iso-Variac that reads in volts measured in tens, and amps measured in tenths on a 0 -1 or 0 - 4 scale. But they are 4" meters so that even very slight needle movements are visible. The human brain is pretty good at interpolation.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

With very coarse markings you won't get accurate readings. End of relevant material. I have no motivation to argue over the simple and immaterial.

NT