Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Prostate Examination

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
newshound grunted in
o.uk:

On 25/09/2017 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Why not a PSA Test?

PSA discovered mine. The finger test did not reveal anything - but
the biopsy did. I had no symptoms. It was caught early due to me just
asking for a PSA Test after talking to a friend who had been through
the problem. I believe all men should have the PSA test every year.
Ask your GP. Don't wait for symtoms.

Google it. The *current* view is that it used to lead to unneccessary
surgery leading to little or no net benefit.

It's not just that, the unnecessary surgery is very likely to cause
impotence and incontinence.

no-one argues that there isn't a problem with the surgery and that it may
be unnecessary

the argument is that the unnecessaryness is NOT caused because your GP has
found you have a raised PSA.

It's caused because the Consultant you are referred to does not detail the
choices to you correctly.

A well informed patient can challenge that.

If I already had risk factors like a family history of the disease, being
Afro-Carribean, I'd go for the PSA test but in the absence of those; no
thanks.

It's just a blood test FFS

The problem is that a raised PSA can see some agree to surgery
or even just biopsys which wouldn't otherwise have happened
and with plenty, they would have died of something else.