Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Prostate Examination

On 25/09/2017 14:35, Lobster wrote:

It's not just that, the unnecessary surgery is very likely to cause
impotence and incontinence.

If I already had risk factors like a family history of the disease, being
Afro-Carribean, I'd go for the PSA test but in the absence of those; no
thanks.

I disagree REALLY strongly!

Get the PSA test done every year. Just don't rush into surgery if the
PSA test and any subsequent tests indicate possible cancer. Take advice,
but most probably follow a policy of "watchful waiting".

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostat...tchful-waiting

The reason is that an astonishing proportion of men (30%) die with, but
not from, undetected and non-symptomatic prostate cancer. Many of these
cancers are so slow growing that you'll die from other things before
they do you any harm.

On the other hand, if the cancer you have is aggressive, it needs to be
treated before it becomes symptomatic.

It's very difficult to tell aggressive cancers from slow growing ones
just from biopsy. Watchful waiting saves you having unnecessary surgery,
removing slow growing cancer.