Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Monday, 25 September 2017 04:43:06 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 17:52:51 -0700, mike wrote:
On 9/24/2017 6:31 AM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:06:45 UTC+1, mike wrote:

A series zener needs to draw ZERO current at 10V and still
be 10V at MUCH higher current ratio. You will have to live
with some amount of nonlinearity.

In fact you could re-zero the meter so it reads 10v spot on. Add an extra mark for where it points when unpowered so you can see if it ever decalibrates.

Yes, you can , but it's still nonlinear.
It's a matter of how much nonlinearity you can tolerate.
It's my assertion that the measured quantity is so crude that you don't
need to worry much about anything. Just learn what it reads and calibrate
your expectations to match.

(I've been a bit preoccupied elsewhere but still following the thread
with interest and will reply individually when I get the chance)

That was part I had already considered in that:
The meter is fairly small. The meter is glued shut. The meter is only
marked in whole volts.

If it's not an accurate meter just add a zener, job done.

NT