Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Prostate Examination

On 25/09/2017 10:08, newshound wrote:
On 25/09/2017 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Lobster wrote in
. 236:

Cursitor Doom grunted in
news

Anyone know if doctors can DIY their own prostate exam? Obviously if
they can, the rest of us can learn to do it for ourselves and save
the yearly appointment (we're all busy people after all).

If this is even a vaguely serious question, the simple answer is that
even if you can reach, you'd need to have felt a good number of
prostates to be able to distinguish a healthy one from a dodgy one.
So unless you're up for that prospect, I'd stick with having a doc do
it for you...

Why not a PSA Test?

PSA discovered mine. The finger test did not reveal anything - but the
biopsy did. I had no symptoms. It was caught early due to me just asking
for a PSA Test after talking to a friend who had been through the
problem.
I believe all men should have the PSA test every year. Ask your GP. Don't
wait for symtoms.

Google it. The *current* view is that it used to lead to unneccessary
surgery leading to little or no net benefit. The best option is MRI
which can pick up the more dangerous forms which are often inaccessible.
But that of course costs an arm and a leg.

The PSA test doesn't lead to unnecessary surgery. That arises from what
people do with the results.