Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:53:54 -0500, "Dave M"
wrote:

snip

I forgot to mention that for the zener solution, you really need to select
as low power a zener that you can find, such as 400mW or lower.
The 1N4104 is a 10V, 250mW zener, with a test current of 1uA, and a max
current of 25ma, well within your requirements. In stock at Mouser.com.

Cheers, Dave, I'll have a look.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, if we used a lower voltage zener (and
as high a tolerance as can be found in the right spec and the right
price *because*) to set the voltage on the -Ve leg of the meter and
then tweak the voltage up via resistors (variable initially) to give a
FSD at 15V then that should be sufficient?

I can't help feeling I've missed something with that solution though,
like the linearity ... ? ;-(

Cheers, T i m