Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old TVs

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
405 line (VHF) sound was AM, so rather more difficult to design a
decent receiver for. Lucky to get to even 10kHz. But that didn't stop
the makers using the cheapest possible power amp and indifferent
speakers too.

IIRC according the a BBC engineering monograph they did get to 15 kHz
but it was BT or rather GPO line allowing! Seems Crystal place was very
wideband!..

I doubt there were many receivers capable of reproducing that 15kHz,
though. Much the same as few AM radios ever did justice to the transmitted
signal - in the days before it was band limited.

BBC TV Theatre in Shepherd's Bush had off air feeds from a BBC check
reciever. (TVC had line feeds) The 405 line BBC 1 sound off air was very
noticeably lacking in top compared to the FM BBC2 one. You don't get a
better comparison than doing an A/B on a live prog. ;-)

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.