Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default lawn mower recommendations

On 23-Sep-17 1:54 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I'm also leery of the no oil change claim.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, that'll never work for longevity. I searched on the B&S site for
anything at all technical on "how this works" and there's absolutely
zero, zilch, nada.

One user posted his failed just after the two-year warranty period had
expired so he tore it down and the top cylinder was badly scored and all
kinds of sludge and carbon buildup as one would expect after two years
of use with no change and no filter. He pointed out he also use the
touted B&S-branded oil (even though we all know B&S doesn't do anything
but brand a specific vendor oil just like all the rest; it's nothing
special).

The B&S response was "well, you maybe were supposed to have used breakin
oil and changed it out first" but didn't offer any redress other than
take it to a service center and they'd look at it.

There is nothing at all on the site about warranty related to
lubrication-caused failures; they'll be able to get out of anything by
claiming you didn't do _something_ you were supposed to, but after two
years they're home free anyway.

I'd never expect to not change oil on a typical short cycle for any
similar small engine if I had any hope of it lasting any time at all.
It's marketing BS and that's all just counting on enough people only use
such engines low enough hours the odds are they'll last despite the lack
of maintenance and they're off the hook after two years irregardless how
irresponsible the ads are.

imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...