Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Pots and Pans Drawers Should Be In The Building Code

On 23-Sep-17 9:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What I'm building will look like these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rtaproducts...sted-white.jpg

The kitchen is old and tired. We've put it off for way too long, but the 4
kids are all out of college and out on their own, so we're doing some things
for ourselves while there's still time to enjoy it. Dropping $40K into a
complete gut job isn't how we want to spend our money, so I'm slowly
upgrading things little by little.

The whole old farm house is, too...folks refurb'ed it (full gut to studs
all outer walls to insulate/wiring, the works, etc.) in late '70s/early
'80s and it hasn't had anything inside since and shows.

I started the idea of refacing the cabinets the year after we came
(2000) to the point of buying the material and it's still waiting.

I intended same style doors but unlike you I removed one for sizing and
it's been off now since setting in the corner!

I built the originals for dad way back when; mom wanted "plain" so
they're just slab doors with routed edges. I wanted to go inset instead
of surface but I've run into problem that dad and I built a custom lazy
susan into the back corner and we used every fraction of an inch we
could for storage so the front lip of the cutout section protrudes 'til
it barely clears the 3/8" inset of the door. It would be a major job to
get into that cabinet to work on fixing that so I've been puzzling ever
since on just how to do what I really wanted...

We, too, have finally decided 'enough is enough' and are trying to
actually get some things going so I guess I'll just do the next best and
do the overlays. Unfortunately, the one thing we _did_ do was replace
the wornout Formica countertop with a faux stone but I didn't add
additional overhang as I was counting on inset doors...