Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Tiling troubles with large tiles

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 11:50:30 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

We are tiling our bathroom with 500mm x 300mm tiles. After a lot of Google/ YouTube effort it seems that the consensus was to use a float with 10mm square "teeth" and put the adhesive on relatively thick with the flat side of the float then grove it off using the teeth with the float at 35 deg to vertical.

When following these instructions, we had to take a tile off to reseat it to discover that only the ridges of the tiles are in contact with the adhesive and therefore 10mm gaps between each point of contact. When tiling previously, when we have had to take the tile off the adhesive fully covers the whole tile.

We have put it on thicker, held the toothed edge at greater angles (to increase the height of the ridges) but neither seems to make any difference.

Anyone out there have any ideas what we are doing wrong?

thanks in advance

Lee.

The bigger the tile, the flatter the surface needs to be or you get upstanding corners.
Also the bigger the tile, you need a thicker bed of adhesive.