Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pots and Pans Drawers Should Be In The Building Code

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:51:17 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 23-Sep-17 10:20 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:57:08 -0500, wrote:

On 23-Sep-17 8:54 AM,

No, drawers were too restrictive. This kitchen doesn't have as many
base cabinets so she has to be more inventive stacking stuff in them.

That's a major problem here...there are only two so it is cramped and
why I've not added drawers. I have thought of a sideless drawer other
than very short lip with undermount slide to minimize height loss so can
get to the back more easily, though.

I turned side-mount HD slides flat and "doubled-up" the number for
support on a slideout shelf for the printer in office...it was old heavy
laser and that worked well without taking but 1/2" in height. Thinking
of trying it in the kitchen as well...

The problem is that the more a space is divided, the less "stuff" that
can be crammed in the space. My wife is a baker, so has all sorts and
shapes of baking pans. The kitchen in the previous house was about
double the size of this one (though this house is 50% larger). The
kitchen still isn't small but it's just not the dream kitchen she had.
She's not happy about losing her kitchen but I picked up 2000ft^2 of
unfinished basement. ;-)

Build some storage down there and add a conveyor...or a drone.

Why? We have stairs. ;-)

I just finished helping w/ noon dishes the other issue with the ones
here is they're face-frame and the drawer can't be wider than the
opening which makes narrower by that amount behind the frames...thin
things like a drippings collector tray are on edge against the side that
would be hard to utilize the same space with the drawer.

Yes, and cookie sheets. Vertical dividers work better than drawers.

If packing a space full divisions may reduce total storage of items,
true, but a taller space with no dividers can also end up with a lot of
wasted air above the items sitting on the one level or the difficulty of
retrieving a given item is high owing to having to unstack/restack so
much to get to it...catch 22.

Variety. Things generally go back into the same space so vertical and
horizontal dividers work. I liked the drawers, too, but she's SWMBO.

There really is no good solution to "real world" storage imo; the mag's
have gorgeous pictures of neatness but there's never really anything but
the show place settings and a fancy copper kettle in sight...the
daily-used stuff is nowhere to be seen.

That's the point. It shouldn't. ;-)