Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pots and Pans Drawers Should Be In The Building Code

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:51:17 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 23-Sep-17 10:20 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:57:08 -0500, wrote:

On 23-Sep-17 8:54 AM,

No, drawers were too restrictive. This kitchen doesn't have as many
base cabinets so she has to be more inventive stacking stuff in them.

That's a major problem here...there are only two so it is cramped and
why I've not added drawers. I have thought of a sideless drawer other
than very short lip with undermount slide to minimize height loss so can
get to the back more easily, though.

I turned side-mount HD slides flat and "doubled-up" the number for
support on a slideout shelf for the printer in office...it was old heavy
laser and that worked well without taking but 1/2" in height. Thinking
of trying it in the kitchen as well...

The problem is that the more a space is divided, the less "stuff" that
can be crammed in the space. My wife is a baker, so has all sorts and
shapes of baking pans. The kitchen in the previous house was about
double the size of this one (though this house is 50% larger). The
kitchen still isn't small but it's just not the dream kitchen she had.
She's not happy about losing her kitchen but I picked up 2000ft^2 of
unfinished basement. ;-)

Build some storage down there and add a conveyor...or a drone.

More to the point, build a shop down there and then use it to build
her her dream kitchen.

I just finished helping w/ noon dishes the other issue with the ones
here is they're face-frame and the drawer can't be wider than the
opening which makes narrower by that amount behind the frames...thin
things like a drippings collector tray are on edge against the side that
would be hard to utilize the same space with the drawer.

If packing a space full divisions may reduce total storage of items,
true, but a taller space with no dividers can also end up with a lot of
wasted air above the items sitting on the one level or the difficulty of
retrieving a given item is high owing to having to unstack/restack so
much to get to it...catch 22.

There really is no good solution to "real world" storage imo; the mag's
have gorgeous pictures of neatness but there's never really anything but
the show place settings and a fancy copper kettle in sight...the
daily-used stuff is nowhere to be seen.