Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Saturday, 23 September 2017 17:35:36 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:38:26 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 22 September 2017 05:05:35 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:59:03 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

simple but time consuming producing a new dial paper

"The Windows programs for drawing analog meter scales"
http://www.tonnesoftware.com/meter.html
$35 for the full version.

fails to solve the issue AND adds pointless cost.
NT

The consensus seems to be to use an expanded scale analog voltmeter.

that's part of the spec

If the OP is going to build such a thing, he needs a new scale on his
analog meter.

yes

That can be done with the free version of the software.
(I just checked and it will do an expanded scale).

it can

I usually ignore one line pontifications, but I'm curious. Why does a
new meter scale fail to solve the issue? Ummm... what issue?

The issue with using an inaccurate zener is that the meter scale most likely won't run from 10.0v, and will thus need calibrating over its scale. That also means a new scale with marks in new places - a pita to do. Far easier to knock off 10v exactly then just change the numbers on the scale.

NT