Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Basement cinema

On Friday, 22 September 2017 13:30:38 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/09/2017 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 22 September 2017 11:34:01 UTC+1, Nige Danton wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Could one ask why you want a projector. I havd a friend with one and he
seems to like it but most people he has around say its a bit dim, and the
thing seems notoriously unreliable and it uses tubes that cost an arm and a
leg.
I'd have thought a large screen tv was more cost effective these days.
Brian

Fair comment, and until fairly recently I think I'd agree with you. But
affordable projectors have come on leaps and bounds in recent years. A
group of us used to take turns hosting a "movie night" and one the couples
had a projector that they would set up in the garden. A huge picture 10 or
12 feet across and as bright as u would want it. The projector (then) was
about USD3 thou.

And the bulbs?

A fair proportion of the purchase price of a new projector by the time
you need to replace one in a projector that only gets occasional use.
Its a tricky calculation to decide whether to get a new projector with
extra feature/more resolution or a new bulb for the old one.

exactly, they're stupidly expensive and not long lived.

NT