Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Absolutely Totally OT - French Pronunciation

TheChief wrote

Hi all

all hanged himself, couldn't keep up with the posts addressed to him
personally.

Sorry this couldn't be further from on topic.

I'd have you publicly flogged if you hadn't
so obviously enjoyed that the last time...

I am looking for a definitive pronunciation for the French word bidet.

No such animal, even with frog words.

This came up when I was repeating a car
salesman's description to an American.

The salesman used the adjectives skinned,
winded and bidet to describe a car.

Because it was a steaming turd with wheels and
he didn't have the balls to say that explicitly ?

Think this is just a way for this specific garage to indicate
leather trim, air conditioning and rear wash wipe

Anyhow, my American colleague didn't get the word bidet,
as I had pronounced it bee-day. Looks like the Americans
pronounce this bid-day with the emphasis on the second syllable.

Most people wouldn't give this a thought, but
it's in the genes for me as my father taught French
and German, but is no longer around to ask.

You could try a ouija board.

Don't you dare ask me how to pronounce
that or I will send around the death squad...

Anyone know of a source for the definitive
French pronunciation of their language?

Presumably those fools that rule on what are
acceptable frog words are stupid enough to do that.

And most frogs make an obscene gesture in their
general direction and say it any way they like.

Maybe it changes depending on region.

Corse it does.

I tried looking in French ngs but
they are spammed out of usefulness.

And bugger all frogs bother with usenet anyway.