Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default BP monitor - how to check calibration?

On 23/09/2017 09:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote :
Yes, they tried reading my blood pressure just before shoving a
camera up where the sun don't shine. Strangley, it was alarmingly
high. Measuring again afterwards found it was normal. They found
this surprising for some reason - I didn't.

I now have three BP monitors and my own measured pressure varies quite
wildly. It seems I can cause the 'white coat syndrome' just taking the
measurements myself. I can take the first measurement, then a second
check within seconds of the first, will find the sys has increased by 20
to 30mmHg.

A big surprise for me, was how my pressure can fall from its usual
values, if I check it directly after even a slight amount of exercise,
such as doing some vacuuming the house, or after having walked 100 yards
home from the bus. Measuring it right after a soak in a bath, produces
the lowest readings. I rather expected the opposite effect, a large
increase in pressures measured.

If you are going to take two readings within seconds do one on your
right arm and the second on your left arm. I haven't got the
instructions in front of me but I seem to remember reading that when
repeating tests on the same arm you are meant to leave it for a few
minutes with the cuff removed before the repeat measurement.

A quick google confirms that BP tends to fall after some exercise.

What is more telling with exercise is the heart rate and how long it
takes to come back to a low (at rest) reading after exercise.