Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pots and Pans Drawers Should Be In The Building Code

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:53:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have. a mid-1950’s kitchen with stick built cabinets. There are no individual boxes, e.g. behind
3 doors is one large open space. I have been (very slowly) doing some upgrades, like building
new utensil drawers, etc.

Over the past month or so, I converted one base cabinet section from 3 doors to 4 drawers.
There are 2 double wide drawers for pots and pans and 2 single drawers for plastics
containers, lids, etc.

Holy crap, what a difference! No more crawling on the floor to find that small pot that
got pushed to back of the bottom shelf. No more grabbing the flashlight to find that
missing lid. SWMBO is so happy that she says I don't have to do anything else, the
drawers are enough. ;-)

I was able to use the old doors (along with some spares that were in the shed from when
my neighbor had his kitchen replaced [same builder, same original kitchen]) to make
matching drawer fronts for the time being. After building a bookcase for SWMBO's
cookbooks, I'm going to get back to building new doors and drawer fronts for the entire
kitchen.

I don't know why we lived with base cabinet doors instead of drawers for so long. So many
years of inconvenience. Pots and Pans drawers should be in the building code for all
kitchen builds and remodels. People need to be protected from themselves. :-)

I put wire pot drawers in the lower cabinets in my previous house.
SWMBO wanted the lower cabinets left alone in this one. Made life
simpler. ;-)