Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On 9/21/2017 3:18 PM, wrote:
Like this?

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...aJT/s-l225.jpg

Right off the shelf.

Several others from similar sources with a table of resistance values to make the desired range (in volts) and either blank faces or sequential numeric faces. Sorry for pointing to an Euro-meter, but just that they are out there.

Had I known, the "meter man" at Kutztown would have had exactly what you want in the size you want it, new or used. He has hundreds. Now you have to wait until spring.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I don't know if you are asking for an expanded scale meter, were the
0V line is 10V and FS line is 15 volts, so the whole range is only 5
volts. That's what I gleaned.
First you need to put a series 60K ohm resistor to make the meter read
FS with 15V applied. (for accuracy you should subtract the resistance of
the meter from the 60K ohms)
Then you need to add a circuit shown in these sites.

http://www.radcomms.net/Expanded_Scale_Voltmeter.html

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/...eVoltMeter.asp

http://www.zbasic.net/forum/about1423.html

This last one will probably need a 10K resistor tied from one OUT to
the other OUT. Just so there is enough current to make the regulators
work properly.

Here's a youtube, I didn't watch it all, but you might learn something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_j4MclCTk

Mikek