Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Analogue moving coil meter range extension?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:21:23 -0700, mike wrote:

Words like exactly, "as good as possible" have no place in a specification.

a common enough phrase for an in-house spec. Such phrases should be cleared up later of course, once the specifier knows what the engineers can actually do and what the options cost.

Specs are numbers and test methods. Specs include allowable
variations due to initial component tolerances, component age,
temperature, vibration, misuse.

Some do. Some are 'how can you get it as cheap as possible and still have it sell & not destroy our repuation.' Some are 'we want to beat what's out there, how good could you get it?' Some are 'we want it to do this.' etc etc etc.

The 'human' bit: A small (key fact) analogue (key fact) panel meter
connected to a lead acid battery (key fact) needs reading and those
readings interpreting and so ITRW, we are 'most likely' to not require
much in the way of precision or we wouldn't be using those things in
the first place. ;-)

1% is doable for some analogue meters. That's enough precision for a lot of tasks.

NT