Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Alternatives to white coated hardboard, or should I stay with the same?

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
wrote:
The white MDF I found appeared to be white primer only, I'm not quite
sure how well that will last?

It doesn't, you'd need to topcoat it.
Personally I wouldn't want mdf in a boat, it doesn't survive getting
wet well.

OK, that pushes me back towards the hardboard option. It's not *that*
easy to find it though, not at a reasonable price anyway.

Is there no thin marine ply you could cut to size and then get sprayed
by your local car repairers?

I'm sure I could get ply and have it painted but it seems a long,
relatively expensive and rather complicated way to get something very
simple.

Alternatively you could upgrade:-) My daughter now has two narrow boats
and mooring for only one! She is considering selling/renting out the
original as British Waterways appear to be re-thinking the rules.

:-)

I have nothing specifically against narrowboats but wider (like ours,
11 metres long, 3 metres beam) are much more practical. Ours is in
Franmce too!

.... not to mention that we too have a boat for sale in the UK, it's an
ex broads cruiser fitted out as a 1 or 2 person liveaboard and moored
right by London City Airport.

--
Chris Green
ยท