Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert robert is offline

Default BP monitor - how to check calibration?

On 21/09/2017 17:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes white coat syndrome is no more than a normal case of being very nervous
near any kind of medical person who is about to pronounce you ill! That is
why they usually take more than one reading to allow you to calm down a bit.

Brian

best practice before treating "high blood pressure" is to have a 24hour
BP monitoring test done.
My BP is always much higher at the surgery than at home and more
interestingly the 24 hour monitoring initially showed the same BP as at
home and then even lower BP for the rest of the 24hours.
Just taking my BP seems to have and adverse effect.

I suspect that white coat syndrome is not uncommon.

Whatever the accuracy of monitors used at home, their main use is to
show changes over time so absolute accuracy is not important.