Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default BP monitor - how to check calibration?

On 21/09/17 17:24, RJH wrote:
On 21/09/2017 17:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not really I went to my Gp to do mine. Mine is a talking one but its
bedside
manner is, erm a little too casual.
According to the who guidlines you blood pressure is high to normal, or
whatever, though of course it gives the figures and stores them in a
continuously rotating memory historically.

All I will say is don't let them prescribe Ramopril, as it gives you a
nasty cough. there are other medications to dilate blood vessels that
work
just as well.

I think it varies with the individual. I take amlodipine and, swollen
ankles aside for the first couple of months, no side effects. Except to
say I haven't had a hangover or headache in the 6/7 years I've been
taking it. You'd think there'd be a Nobel Prize in there somewhere, but
the doc doesn't seem interested :-)

However they really need to find out why the pressure is high.
In my case its my liver being hard to push blood through, but I'm sure
there
are lots of other issues.

My succession of doctors have absolutely no interest in cause - or at
least an easily identified cause from a basic annual blood test. The
current doctor's opinion is 'it's one of those things'.

There are some known causes they check for- renal stenosis and the
artery in your neck. If they check clear, it is usually put down to
'essential hypertension' - not quite one of those things but some people
are prone to it.