Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default BP monitor - how to check calibration?

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 21/09/17 15:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have the doctors panicking over my high blood pressure. So I dug out a
digi BP monitor we had for a few years #1. That had a problem with its
over pressure safety valve, which I repaired whilst waiting for a new
one to be delivered. It's readings were completely inconsistent, so
today (still waiting for #2 to arrive), I went out and bought an over
the counter #3.

#3 (a cuff auto digital) seems to provide consistent values, no rapid
wild variations, but how to be sure the displayed readings are correct?

I have already been advised that any of the larger pharmacists should
have a device to check the calibration of BP monitors, but I wonder if
there might be a way to check it at home?

I have any annual 'MOT' at my GP surgery. They offered to check the
meter I use at home if I took it in at the next check up. Without being
rude, I suspect you fall into the age bracket to qualify for the same
(free) 'MOT' check up, kill two birds with one stone- so to speak. They
do a blood test, pee in a jar test, BP, a few other things- nothing
painful.

I'm of an age where I got a nice letter from one of the GPs iin our group
practice telling me she was "my" GP. Nobody has ever offered me an MOT - I
even have to look on-line to get a flu jab.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England