Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default BP monitor - how to check calibration?

Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:43:40 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

I have the doctors panicking over my high blood pressure. So I dug out
a digi BP monitor we had for a few years #1. That had a problem with
its over pressure safety valve, which I repaired whilst waiting for a
new one to be delivered. It's readings were completely inconsistent, so
today (still waiting for #2 to arrive), I went out and bought an over
the counter #3.

#3 (a cuff auto digital) seems to provide consistent values, no rapid
wild variations, but how to be sure the displayed readings are correct?

I have already been advised that any of the larger pharmacists should
have a device to check the calibration of BP monitors, but I wonder if
there might be a way to check it at home?

I supply a service to pharmacies, or at least did so before I retired
earlier this year and I never saw such a calibration device or service
offered.

My late father was a medical rep in the 1960s and carried a little
bottle of Hg to top up doctors traditional sphigs, so I suppose that
was a calibration service.

Is your machine an upper arm cuff type? The wrist type are notoriously
inconsistent.

I have a basic 'uppper arm' BP monitor and when I first had it (to
get around the almost standard 'white coat syndrome') I took it with
me to the doctor for my next check up. She and I compared the
readings we got and confirmed that at least we agreed with each other
quite closely.

--
Chris Green
ยท